Forklift can be dangerous in the absence of proper care and responsibility. Being aware of all the risk factors can help to avoid danger. However, getting right forklift training Toronto can prepare you to operate forklift safely and avoid all the dangers forklift have. Let’s check what those factors are, that contribute to forklift accidents so you can act accordingly.
1. Forklift load capacity: Too much load can make forklift unstable. Operator must be aware of capacity of the forklift before operating it. It can be checked on the data plate that must contain the relevant information. If the plate is not clear and difficult to understand it, immediate action should be taken by informing to the employer.
2. Not aware of route: Be familiar with obstacles that can come on your route like workplaces where the layout is complex, or narrow areas where the movement can be difficult. Find out the safer direction before moving to avoid any problem later on.
3. Unsecured load: Some objects are easy to secure while moving but some are not. Moving objects having odd shape are very difficult to secure that can cause overbalance and fall. Therefore, operator must be trained to operate the forklift depending upon the load it carries.
4. No communication with workers: The environment of warehouses remains busy and everyone is completing their own tasks so there are possible chances of miscommunication and accidents. Maintaining high level of communication is really important. Communicating with workers about what you are going to do that will help awareness about operations.
5. Slipping from forklift: Danger of injuries is not only in operations but also in slips and trips so extra care is needed in elevated environment. Before using the machinery it is important to wear suitable footwear that cannot let you slip on any substances.
6. Inadequate battery and hydraulic fluids: In the absence of charged battery and hydraulic fluids, machinery can be stopped anytime in between. This can be so dangerous so make sure battery is properly charged and hydraulic fluid is at appropriate level before starting.
7. Speeding: Operating the machinery in a speed that is not proper for vehicle and environment can cause accident. Therefore, paying attention in speed limit is necessary to operate forklift.
8. Incorrect parking: The need of safety doesn’t end on completing the job but park it in authorised area is also be taken care. Also, where other employees are aware of its availability. Before parking, ensure to lower the fork, setting neutral direction, and turn off the ignition.
Creating a safe environment is not in the hands of operator but it needs team effort. Safe management of operations can protect operators and other employees of workplace. This can be done by minimizing risks by following all these tips.